University of North Texas

College of Music | Graduate Studies

Master of Music Performance Handbook (2018-2019)

Table of Contents

1. Important Contacts

2. General Degree Requirements

3. Entrance Exams and Transcript Evaluations

4. Degree Plan and Advisory Committee

5. Related Field Requirements

6. Participation in Performance Laboratories/Ensembles (including zero credit enrollment)

7. Recital Procedures and Application

8. Final Oral Exam and Graduation

9. Time Limit

1. Important Contacts

Dr. Felix Olschofka, Interim Director of Graduate Studies

Dr. Colleen Conlon, Senior Graduate Academic Advisor, (940) 565-2930

Dr. Brian McKee, Graduate Academic Advisor, (940) 565-3721

Mafaldo Chandler, Assistant to the Dean: Scholarship Services, (940) 369-7771

Jessie Niu, International Liaison, (940) 565-3734

Linda Strube, Administrative Specialist: Concert Programs, (940) 565-3709

Laura Fuller, Concert and Event Scheduling, (940) 565-3707

2. General Degree Requirements

Students must fulfill all requirements specified on the UNT College of Music Admissions Website. In addition, they must receive a grade of B or better for all courses counting toward the degree, including deficiency courses.

3. Entrance Exams and Transcript Evaluations

The Graduate Placement Examinations (GPE) in music history and music theory must be taken during orientation week of the first semester in which the student enrolls as a master's student. Transcript evaluations are conducted by the appropriate area coordinator who evaluates applicant’s prior college transcripts; coursework deficiencies found in the transcripts will be emailed to the applicant. Questions concerning the transcript deficiencies should be addressed to the appropriate area coordinator. Students must enroll in remedial coursework (i.e. deficiency courses) assigned on the basis of the GPE and/or the transcript evaluation in the first semester in which these courses are available. Neither GPE nor transcript deficiency courses may be counted toward the degree plan or as electives.

With the exception of jazz studies majors, all incoming MM students must either submit an acceptable score on the writing portion of the GRE or pass the Graduate Writing Exam (GWE) given by the College of Music five times annually. Students may enroll in graduate-level courses for one semester only without having satisfied this requirement. See GRE Requirement for more information on the GRE and Graduate Writing Exam (GWE) for a description of the GWE.

4. Degree Plan and Advisory Committee

Students should consult their major professor as they prepare a tentative program to meet the degree requirements and select an advisory committee. After enrolling in 18 hours of courses, which usually occurs in the second semester of study, the student must select an advisory committee by submitting the Designation of Advisory Committee form to the Graduate Studies Office. The committee must be comprised of at least three members and must include: 1) the major professor, 2) the related-field professor (i.e. the related-field representative) and 3) a third committee member.

At the same time, the student must submit a degree plan, which lists all courses required for the degree and is approved by the student’s major professor, for the approval of the Director of Graduate Studies and the Dean of the Graduate School. All changes to the degree plan must be submitted in writing on the Graduate Degree Plan Change form, approved by the major professor and the Director of Graduate Studies, and filed with the Graduate Studies Office.

Courses listed on the degree plan must carry letter grades with the exception of those in which the student is engaged in individual research and is not attending an organized class. These courses, with the approval of the department, may be assigned pass/no pass grades. Degree requirements are determined by the Graduate Catalog in force in the semester the student matriculates. Degree plans may not be filed in the semester a student plans to graduate. Click on the following links for particular degree plans:

  1. MM Choral Conducting Degree Plan
  2. MM Collaborative Piano Degree Plan
  3. MM Multiple Woodwinds Degree Plan
  4. MM Orchestral Conducting Degree Plan
  5. MM Orchestral Instrument Degree Plan
  6. MM Organ Degree Plan
  7. MM Piano Degree Plan
  8. MM Voice Degree Plan
  9. MM Wind Conducting Degree Plan
  10. MM Jazz Studies Degree Plan
  11. Change in Degree Plan Form

5. Related Field Requirements

All MM students must pursue a related field of not fewer than 9 hours. The Graduate Catalog as well as area/division websites, specify the requirements associated with individual related fields. Students are responsible for consulting these resources as well as relevant faculty in order to ascertain these requirements. The following are additional requirements not specified in the Catalog or area/division websites.

Conducting – Pursuing a related field in conducting requires that the candidate apply to and be accepted by one of three areas: Choral Conducting, Orchestral Conducting, or Wind Conducting.  The candidate’s curriculum in the related field will be determined by the director of the discipline chosen.

     Choral Conducting (Allen
     9 hours selected from:
     MUAG 5000 – Choral Techniques
     MUAG 5800 – Advanced Choral Conducting (may be repeated)
     MUAG 5810, 5811, 5812 – Choral Literature

     Orchestral Conducting ( or
     9 hours selected from:
     MUAG 5850 – Advanced Instrumental Conducting (may be repeated)
     MUAG 5815 – Symphonic Literature I (3 hours)
     MUAG 5820 – Symphonic Literature II (3 hours)

     Wind Conducting ( or
     Prerequisite: MUAG 5850 - Advanced Instrumental Conducting (3 hours)
     Required in Summer Session: MUGC 5890 - Conductors Collegium (3 hours) and
     MUAG 5850 – Advanced Instrumental Conducting (3 hours)
     Prerequisite: MUAG 5860 Symphonic Literature – Winds I (3 hours)
     Required: MUAG 5861 - Symphonic Literature – Winds II (3 hours)
     Required: MULB 5173 - Wind Studies ensemble (4 hours)

Early Music – Required: audition and
MUAC 5532 - early instrument applied instruction (4 hours)
MUEN 5530-5540 Collegium Musicum (2 hours)
3 hours selected from:
MUMH 5620 – Performance Practice: Medieval/Renaissance or
MUMH 5630 – Performance Practice: Baroque

Students wishing to pursue a related field outside the College of Music must submit the "Request for Related Field Outside the College of Music" form to the Graduate Studies Office along with a justification of ca. 300 words explaining how the proposed related field will further their professional and artistic goals. The Graduate Performance Degree Committee must approve the related field before the student files the Degree Plan and Committee Designation Form.

Request for Related Field outside the College of Music form

6. Participation in Performance Laboratories/Ensembles (including zero credit enrollment)

Master's students who major in band or orchestral instruments are required to participate in two semesters of laboratory (MULB); one semester is required for voice majors. Laboratories are: a cappella choir, chamber choir, concert choir, men’s chorus, women’s chorus, grand chorus, symphony orchestra, wind ensemble, symphonic band, concert band, marching band, jazz labs and accompanying. To meet this requirement, students must choose laboratories approved by the major advisers. Credit may be earned by enrolling in MULB 5171-5175 (1 semester hour each.)

Two semesters of chamber music (MUCM) or collegium musicum (MUEN 5530/5540) or ensemble (MUEN) are required of all performance majors, with the exception of conducting majors. Ensembles available for graduate participation are: opera theater, collegium musicum, chamber orchestra, wind ensemble, brass choir, trumpet choir, horn choir, trombone choir, tuba-euphonium ensemble, flute choir, percussion ensemble, steel drum band, marimba ensemble, African ensemble, gamelan ensemble, electric and acoustic guitar ensembles, NOVA ensemble, and smaller string, woodwind, brass, harp and jazz chamber ensembles.

Master's students on scholarship are eligible for zero credit for MULB/MUCM/MUEN after they have met their degree requirements.  Teaching Assistants and Fellows are eligible for zero credit if the workload assignment requires enrollment in MULB/MUCM/MUEN.  After the MULB/MUCM/MUEN requirements have been met, students either register for MULB/MUCM/MUEN for elective credit or they may elect to register for zero credit.  Master's students without a College of Music scholarship are eligible for zero credit by petition only.

Master's students without a College of Music scholarship are eligible for zero credit if an ensemble/chamber director requests participation in a MULB/MUCM/MUEN ensemble.  Signatures must be obtained on the Zero Credit Petition form by the ensemble/chamber director, the division chair, and the Director of Graduate Studies.  

Permission codes to register for zero credit are issued by the Graduate Studies Office in the College of Music.  Zero credit does not count toward full-time enrollment for scholarships or financial aid.  Students are restricted to 2 zero credits per semester and zero credit is not included in GPE calculations. 

7. Recital Procedures and Application

Master's Recital Approval Form

Minimum length of a regular recital's total musical content is 50 minutes with the following exceptions: brass players and percussionists must include at least 40 minutes of music; choral conductors must include at least 30 minutes of music. Maximum length is 60 minutes.

Step 1:  Go online to to research a date and time for your recital. You may make a reservation in one of two ways: 

  • Submit your request online at Follow the online instructions for obtaining faculty approval.  Your reservation is not confirmed until faculty approval is received.
  • Submit a Concert/Recital Request Form complete with faculty approval signature(s) to the Concert Scheduling Office.

Step 2:  After you have booked a stage and date for your recital, fill out the appropriate recital form available on this webpage above (this is not the same form used by the Concert Scheduling Office.

Step 3:  Students are responsible for providing a full program complete with date, time and location of performance, titles and dates of works, names and dates of composers, and assisting performers to Linda Strube in the College of Music Program Office (MU 241).  This information is due NO LATER THAN three weeks prior to the performance.  The student is also responsible for proofing the program once the first draft is completed by the Program Office.

Contact or 940-565-3709 for assistance.


Students who cancel their recital must immediately inform Laura Fuller, (940) 565-3707, in the Concert Scheduling Office, so that the date and time of their recital can be made available to others and publicity concerning the event can be cancelled.

8. Final Oral Exam and Graduation

Before the degree is granted, the performance candidate must pass a final oral comprehensive examination covering the major and related fields. The examination may be taken no more than three times. The student must take the examination after the completion of the master’s degree recital. When scheduling the oral examination date, the student must be aware of the Toulouse deadline for filing the results of the oral examination in order to graduate.

All master’s degree students must file a graduation application with the Toulouse School of Graduate Studies during the semester in which they plan to graduate. Deadlines vary for each term, but they typically fall within the first 4 weeks of the semester. Upon receipt of the student’s graduation application, the Toulouse School sends the student’s oral examination form to the College of Music Graduate Studies Office. The student’s major professor should contact the COM Graduate Studies Office several days before the oral examination to obtain the form.

9. Time Limit

All work to be credited toward the MM degree degree must be completed within a period of 5 years. Time limits are strictly enforced. Students exceeding the time limit may be required to replace out-of-date credits with up-to-date work and/or show other evidence of being up-to-date in their major and related fields. Students anticipating that they will exceed the time limit should apply for an extension before their fourth year of study. Those wishing to apply must complete the Time Extension Form and submit it with the support of their major professor to the Graduate Performance Degree Committee. Holding a full-time job is not, in itself, considered sufficient grounds for granting an extension.